Saturday, March 6, 2010

Spring Break Adventure

So, speaking of adventures, I figured I should start with the trip that is rapidly approaching.

This time last year, I got on a plane in Newark, NJ by myself to fly to Mississippi. I didn't know who would meet me there, or who I would meet. I didn't know what the week ahead would hold but I took a risk, and I am so glad that I did. After a missed connecting flight in Texas and being stuck in the airport for over 10 hours, I eventually made it to the start of a week that changed the way I looked at the world. When it came time for spring break this year, I knew there was no other option than to give my time to someone in need.

This year, in just one week I will be in New Orleans, LA. I am seriously looking forward to this trip. Not just because I need a break from school, but also because of the incredible people and the incredible things I will be doing. On Friday after class I am boarding my flight and heading to meet Emily and Ryan in New Orleans, hopefully without the 10 hour delay. Emily goes to Purdue University and Ryan is ..employed. We met last year on our Alternative Spring Break trip to Biloxi, Mississippi.

Our alternative spring break trip will help the community of St. Bernards Parish, this spring. So we decided to head down early to check out all of the amazing things N'awlins has to offer, including the amazing culture, food and FUN! I am looking forward to experiencing their St. Patrick's Day parade as well as checking out the historical mansions in the Garden District. I can't wait to have some delicious crawfish as well as checking out the cafe's. Just everything about the area is so rich and full of life and I cannot wait to be a part of it.

In looking for great places to check out and things not to miss I happened to come along this site. If you get a moment on Saturday next week check it out, I'm sure Emily, Ryan and I will try and hunt it down.


Though I am looking forward to having a day or two of vacation and fun, what I really am looking forward to is reuniting with even more friends from last spring to do what we all really love; Volunteering our spring break and giving back. AJ and Emily (another one!) are other members from last years "team" that will meeting us when we get to Camp Hope for our week. The people of St. Bernards Parish are still really struggling after close to 5 years after Katrina destroyed their lives. I am excited to be in the heart of where the damage was and am looking forward to meeting new people and hearing their stories. The impact that the family and the neighbors of that family had on me last year is indescribable and it makes it that much more important for me to give back to the people who have nothing. Being in an area where there is just pure destruction really makes me appreciate this couch that I am sitting on, as well as the four walls in this living room, and even more so the apartment building I am lucky to come home to every night. I strongly encourage anyone in college to look into volunteer work, not only over spring break, but in your college community as well... It is so easy to take things for granted on a day to day basis and giving back is such a great way to get your perspective back on track.

So those are my plans. I plan on using this as a way to keep you all connected to my trip so you can see what I am up to.

If you'd like to help out on my trip to New Orleans, the work part, not the fun part, you can donate through my fundraising page here.

xoxsam

No comments:

Post a Comment